Wednesday, October 24, 2007

uh, duh. . .

. . . who is shocked that Dumbledore is gay? I mean, come on! In reading the books, no one ever made the connection? I wondered about Minerva too. It isn't like the teachers at Hogwarts had family suites. Anyway, it'll just give the book-banning nazi cows more ammo to keep those pagan witch books out of schools. Must protect the children!

Whatever.

So John Updike was here yesterday, and he was quite delightful. He did a private Q&A with the CRW department students in the afternoon, before the night reading. He recalled his amazement at learning that a sentence had anatomy - he could even recall the name of the teacher who taught him that. More importantly, he recalled how she had this thing with messing around with her bra strap. Apparently, she was ill-fitted. We all laughed, of course, because it was funny, but then I instantly started to wonder if I have some odd behavior that I am unaware of but that my students will remember years from now. Ah, that Miss Weathers! (Some of them refuse to call me Jen, despite my repeated requests.) She always had her finger in her nose! Must've been the nose ring.

Yes, teachers have come quite a way from the days of slips and oxford shoes. Thank God. I guess I am a hair tosser. (Back to the odd habits. Keep up.) I always have my hands in my hair. I've gotten better about not twirling my pencil in my hand. . . I know that is distracting to others. Although it is so calming. Do I wiggle my foot too much? I also am a chair rocker - but only in the classrooms with those red chairs. . . hmmmm.

Too much to do tomorrow. I am already behind with all the extra stuff on my plate this week. And all I really want to do is write.

No comments: