Tuesday, October 09, 2007

behind . . .

. . . not sure how this always happens to me, but it does. I get spectacularly ahead in certain areas, and then fantastically behind in others. Never a happy medium. I have an eight pack of paper towels in the cupboard, but I'm almost out of cleaning spray. (Yes, organic, geranium scented. It is my personal theory that all the germophobes out there who use harsh caustic chemicals are somehow partly responsible for cancer rates soaring. Germs are okay. Tumors a little less so.)

I received a rejection notice today in the mail which is odd. I won't mention the journal's name (because the person who sent this was obviously a very green editor who didn't know what she was doing), but it was the usual form letter, with some wording to the effect of 'don't forget your SASE.' This contrasts with their website instructions, which I always follow (with the exception of simultaneous submissions). Anyway, she'd underlined that part twice, and then, to make sure I got the message, hand wrote out a note that next time I submit to be sure to include my SASE. My poems were included in the envelope.

Now, why would I want those poems back? Firstly, they were stapled. I know better than to send anyone a stapled set of poems. Secondly, they had been handled by who knows how many people and were wrinkled and creased, recreased. Why would I send out to another editor a set of poems that had clearly seen rejection once before? I don't include a SASE if it isn't required. Call me cheap. I figure if you like my poems enough to want them, I'll hear from you via email. And if not, please recycle my poems.

Since I am on my soap-box, let me just tackle the simultaneous submission policies of many publishers. I figure they are sort of like a really feeble lock on a henhouse to keep the foxes out. They nudge it, the door stays shut, they move on to the neighbors. The smart fox ignores the lock and goes in through the open window. My advice? Don't tell them you've sent it elsewhere (even if they invite you to do so - you'll be at the bottom of the pile), and don't worry about it. I know it sounds harsh, but honestly. Most likely you are not being paid. Most likely they are not being paid. They do it for the love of finding great new talent. You do it for the love of being the great new talent. Editors who bitch about them or flat out refuse to deal with them are normal. Everyone complains about their job from time to time. (I complain about writing all the time.) It is the writer's responsibility to ignore the editor on most things. It is the editor's responsibility to find great new talent. It is how it is.

Just read the end of King's On Writing where he writes about the practical side of publishing and agents and all the business that goes with being a published writer. I find it to be a really refreshing take on the business side of things. (Of course, King is always rather open with his ideas and in a no-bullshit manner. Love it!)

I feel that now (after I have insulted people with cancer and magazine editors at large) my work is done for the day. I can revel in the rest of this latte, look at some student poems, and relax in the mellow glow of the fading sun. (Yeah, the sun was a bit much.)

No comments: