Saturday, September 22, 2007

i had always suspected as much . . .

. . . this just in: scientists now believe that the velociraptor had feathers. Well, anyone who knows my darling birds, Buddha and Phoebe, can attest to the fact that "terrible lizard" should have been "terrible bird" instead. I feel strangely vindicated. For what, I can't say. Perhaps Buddha's feather picking is an attempt to show his more macho, reptilian side. (Actually, he is letting the feathers on his epaulets grow back, which is a miracle in itself since they've been missing for years.)

Still trying to finish Owen Meany. Will try to do it today. It is such a good book, and somehow I managed to get sidetracked by school and other things. But I have a whole stack (or three) of books to read that are in no way related to school. I have three unread New Yorkers sitting on my desk. Still haven't finished the latest P&W. Although, I did read the Edwidge Danticat article, and I was quite horrified by the treatment of her uncle. Americans simply do not realize how foreigners of any color not white are treated. It is shameful. Immigration is the worst run government office. Imagine the DMV, with lines five times as long, officials behind counters who move as though they are underwater and haven't cracked a smile in ten years, and then magnify the paperwork twentyfold, and add to that the glare of security cameras, and security guards who are hopped up on espresso. It isn't the most friendly of places. I blame lack of training, lack of bilingual staff, lack of care on the part of the government. How did I get on this subject? I can soapbox all day long on this sad state of affairs. I must stop though. The birds/raptors want their breakfast.

No comments: