Monday, September 03, 2007

Gunn. Tim Gunn.

. . . just when I was going to get really irritated at Tim Gunn for having his own show and neglecting his ardent fans of Project Runway, I can finally relax. Seems Tim has been busy doing both his own show and Project Runway 4. Which means those of us who have been watching Top Chef to get our fashion fix with Padma Lakshi can now get that fix the old fashioned way. By watching Heidi, Nina, and Michael berate and torment a new cast of contestants all vying to be more engaging than their predecessors.

This is a load off my mind. Seriously. There is a huge poet following of Project Runway. I swear.

So what am I doing this holiday weekend? You guessed it. Researching the correct usage of the comma, colon, and semi-colon. Strictly for fun. And to reiterate my own understanding so that when I mark my students' papers I can be certain I didn't impose my own grammatical inaccuracies on them. When 80% use the comma incorrectly, you know there is some sort of deficiency in the high school system. And when I was able to graduate with my bachelor's in English without ever once being required to take a grammar course, well, the problem becomes apparent. Catch-22.

Not to harp on the Tim Gunn thing, but I really hope his show doesn't suck. It looks like it could. One reason we all like Tim so much is for his sparse appearances with a truly verbose vocabulary. An entire half hour of those pinstripes might make me change my mind. Think I'll hold out for PR4.

No comments: