Sunday, August 05, 2007

i (heart) charles simic. . .

. . . so it is fairly lovely news that he is to be the new Poet Laureate. Simic's poetry is influential to me, in that I feel his verse is profound in both the lyricism/imagery and the political ideology, whether one wants to call it ideology or not - perhaps humanity is a better word. Either way, he makes me want to be a better poet, and because I believe that being a poet is more than just writing, it is a way of looking at life, of engaging in life, of being aware in all the senses, I am excited to see that perhaps the discussion of modern poetry can perhaps be refocused to poetry itself, and not the same old boring po-biz discussions of who has what money and bringing poetry to the masses as it used to be in the good old days (and what days were these, I ask) and finally, to look beyond one's own petty agenda that puts the biz in po-biz in the first place. Who the hell cares? I just want to read some good poetry and theory. I am tired of the publishing end of things, and the brouhaha over Academia: Devil Poetry, or Devil-May-Care Poetry?

And yada yada yada.

No comments: