Tuesday, June 05, 2007

last night . . .

. . . I watched Little Miss Sunshine. Loved it. The dialogue is beyond incredible. You just can't write that shit. (Although, obviously someone did.) I put this movie into the category of others like Wonder Boys, The Royal Tenenbaums, Tadpole, Secretary, Something's Gotta Give, etc.

I tried to read Donna Tartt's novel The Secret History, and after the first chapter I had to put it down. It feels highly over written to me, and the characterization not compelling enough to actually draw me into the story with the fact that she sets it up in a way that I already know the ending. That seems to me a really hard trick to do. This character dies, I am telling you right off, then putting my story in first person, including way too much unconvincing backstory of the main character, and completely esoteric random Latin phrases into the mix. Lol. I mean, it is quite a tall order, and I don't think she pulls it off, but since I couldn't get past the first chapter, I may be way off. Perhaps it gets better. Perhaps. I may try it again later, when I feel less snarky towards it. I really wanted to like it. I did. Swear.

I have managed to do some more revising on some recent poems. So the writing is there. Moderately so. Other things are in the works though while I am in Chattanooga, which include mostly expensive vet trips (impacted teeth seem to be the trend with my dogs at the moment), and house and yard improvements. The downside to that is of course that when you paint the new front door a fresh new color, suddenly the trim needs to be painted. I won't even get started on the other pitfalls of home improvement. But things are slowly getting done.

No comments: