Thursday, August 27, 2009

all things that . . .

. . . can be good about summer: going to the beach in lovely 80 degree weather; baking fresh honey wheat bread from scratch; going out of town; reading a biography on Virginia Woolf; visiting a favorite grocery store not in Wilmington that has gorgeous heirloom tomatoes. All of these, I have done in the past week. Including the collecting of shells and sand for Baby Gemma. Someday, she will have these mementos and wonder why on earth her mother saved them for thirty years.

Woolf has long been one of my favorite writers and I am convinced that if she were alive today she would enjoy blogging. She'd have a voice beyond the demanding ones of her intimate group. She'd probably get herself in a bit of trouble, but she'd be championed into something beyond the strong personalities that Bloomsbury afforded her. I also think that my other favorite writer, Flannery O'Connor, would blog. I've thought a lot about this lately. Many not-yet-known writers blog, but I'm hard pressed to think of any well known writers who do. Maintaining a website is different - something I think writers who are getting recognition finally for their work start to transition toward with an element of blogging involved. I'm not sure what is behind my own urge to blog except that I enjoy it and it gives me a space to write. I am, of course, hawking my book about (although not strenuously by any means as the demands of motherhood are more vocal than the demands of the book), but I feel in a year that I will be in the website mode. . . as things change and progress and I am able to be more serious in this internet endeavor. It also begs a lot about the privacy/public question. . . the internet being this vast and forever thing.

If only Woolf and O'Connor had websites where I could ask their opinions on the matter.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Mmm, honey wheat bread! Care to share your recipe? I've been looking for a good wheat recipe.

As for blogging, this is a curious thing indeed. Haven Kimmel kept a blog for a while, but stopped after something happened in the comments (not sure what). I believe Augusten Burroughs keeps a blog on his site, but updates it infrequently. I'm sure established writers have quite a bit of writing and writing-related things they get paid to do, so blogging for free...maybe there's less incentive? Not sure. I will be pondering this.

poethussy said...

The blogging thing has always been on my mind, glad for your thoughts on it! The incentive thing is also a curiosity to me, because a lot of well established blogs will pay for guest bloggers to write. Of course, if you're already making good money off your work, then the incentive there may be more novelty than bread-earning.

As for bread - this is the first recipe I've tried for conventional oven and I found it online at breadworld.com under beginner. It turned out pretty well.

Erin said...

What a fantastic website this breadworld.com is! Thank you.

Now, if only finding a paying blog gig were this easy...