Tuesday, July 03, 2007

away . . .

. . . I have been sick, which isn't fair. It is summer. There is unseasonably cool weather to be enjoyed. Which I did today. Eighty degrees, no real humidity. Awesome weather.

So I found out this week that it is my ten year high school reunion. That totally snuck up on me. For one, I didn't realize it had been ten years. Secondly, I went to a really small school with a graduating class of about 30. A friend who is trying to convince me to go told me that a lot of people are going - around 100. I didn't think to ask where the heck we were scrounging up the extra 70 people. And as far as I know, this will be the first reunion in, say, forever.

Okay, okay. I am being cynical. I am sure other graduating classes are going. It was (and likely still is) a total student body of 500. K-12. Yes. All of us on this tiny campus, bungalow style classrooms, hippie murals on the walls with John Lennon. We celebrated Peace Day once a year. We tye-dyed t-shirts and made homemade vegetarian chili. I shit you not. Yes, this was in California. Yes, I am aware of those connotations. Yes, there was a pot-bellied pig named Bumper who walked around campus.

Thinking back has made me nostalgic. Somewhat. Then again, it is also a major flashback to icky high school memories. And a complete chance for both self acrimony and self validation. The thing is, I am so over high school, that I wonder what the point is in going. College does a pretty good job of wiping out high school. Grad school does a really great job of wiping out undergrad. It is like trading up, and the higher I go, the more I like school. I am finally going for me.

So the question is twofold: 1) will nostalgia win over a healthy sense of self? and 2) can this ridiculous post get any longer?

No comments: