Tuesday, May 01, 2007

packing woes

What books should I take to Europe? Now that summer is here, and I have time to READ, I want to sit down and read everything. I went to the bookstore today and had to peel myself away. I did get Cormac McCarthy's The Road. I can't wait to read it. I have heard incredibly good things about it. Definitely taking that, and possibly these:

Ted Kooser's Poetry Home Repair Manual
Li-Young Lee's Book of My Nights
Heather McHugh's Shades
Flannery O'Connor's Wise Blood, Everything That Rises Must Converge, The Violent Bear It Away
Robin Behn's (ed.) The Practice of Poetry
Sylvia Plath's restored edition Ariel
Michael Chabon's The Final Solution
the latest edition of Poets&Writers

And um, well, anything else I can stick in my bag last minute. Too much? I also want to take Edward P. Jones' The Unknown World. Sigh. So many books, so little space in my suitcase. Some books I just had to leave out because they are too big. Salmon Rushdie's Satanic Verses will have to wait. So will Robert Anthony Siegel's All Will Be Revealed.

There is just no way to fit all those books, is there? Woe.

No comments: