Wednesday, June 11, 2008

the drought extended . . .

. . . to the blog. Well, really it is more of a time issue. And then an inspiration issue. And then the issues kept piling up. Neglect, etc. It's all very clear in my head.

I've been absent.

But two days ago, I woke up to the composition of a poem going on in my head. It is a beautiful thing.

Teaching summer session soon. I've picked up two amazing books for the next semester: Poet's Choice by Ed Hirsch and The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Poetry edited by J.D. McClatchey. I can't open one without wanting to consume the other. The Vintage one in particular is as close an anthology I've encountered to what would be in my own if I ever endeavored to compile one beyond the xeroxes I currently live by.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vintage is pretty sweet, but I prefer Staying Alive... it's organized by subject as opposed to author. SA is a little less academic than Vintage... but both are definitely good.

poethussy said...

I have to admit to not being privy to Staying Alive - so thanks for the reference! I'll definitely be checking it out.

I also use Milosz's Anthology, the name of which escapes me at the moment...something with "Light" in it, which is also subject oriented rather than by poet. I love that book as well, mostly for its range and the fact that I am a huge Milosz fan.